Thursday, February 12, 2009

User Groups, Conferences and Business Workshops

Today was a long day of meetings. I started out at a business meeting with the Small Business Development Center in the workings of "How to start a small business." I've technically had a small business for years but since mine has been changing and now it's my whole income, I wanted to make sure that I'm filing everything I need to file and paying everything I need to pay so Uncle Sam doesn't come after me. I listened to a lot of stuff I already knew but did find out a few important tips. It was worth going. Plus I learned that their center will provide free business counseling anytime I need it. Nice! (They are located on the USF/PCC campus for anyone interested). 

After that I went to the tax collectors office to add two classifications to my tax receipt, the Sales Tax office downtown to apply for collecting sales tax (who's ever heard of APPLYING to collect sales tax? sheesh) and then to the bank to open a small business checking account. I feel so official.

Then it was to Tampa to an InDesign User Group meeting from 6-9pm. I learned some great techniques for Illustrator and a couple for InDesign. I'm pretty excited that I can freshen up and learn some new things all for free. There's another meeting next month with a guy from Amsterdam coming in. I'm pretty sure I'll be going to that meeting as well. Can't pass up free meetings... plus you get a copy of Photoshop magazine (sometimes Layers too) and chances to win things like Illustrator CS4, stock templates, t-shirts, etc. I just wish it was closer to Lakeland. (or in Lakeland for that matter). 

Right now I'm debating on whether to sign up for the photoshop conference in Tampa. I really want to go but it's $99. It would be worth it if it's all new info, but if I already know a lot of what the guy is going to talk about I'd be pretty bummed about spending the money and spending a whole day. I was hoping to get a discount through the class I went to tonight but no such luck. Hmmm...

No comments: