Sunday, September 28, 2008

Platform Art Show!

Let me just say that my first big art show was amazing! The weeks leading up to it I was riddled with thoughts of "How will my art compare? What will people think? Will I sell anything at all? Am I good enough to be in this?"... you know all those artist fears and tendencies that make us timid. I woke up yesterday morning and wanted to throw up a little at the thought of it, so I said a prayer, gave it to God and started the day.


I set up in the morning to give myself plenty of time in case I forgot something or the set-up didn't go as planned. Thankfully I finished and got to actually relax for the afternoon. I got there at 5:30 and went to the artist reception which had some appetizers and drinks for us. Jason and I chatted with Alyssa and her husband and got to know t
hem a little, which was great. (Alyssa's paintings won best in show!) Soon it was 6:15 and time to mingle. Thank you all SO much for coming out to the show. It was amazing to see all the people that came out and supported myself and the other artists. It's a blessing to have so many friends that support me. THANK you all! You are amazing.

I also got to talk with several guests that came by. I loved chatting about the photographs because I'm just so in love with the places that I took them. Several people recognized different landscapes from places they had been as well and it was great to reminice and day dream. One of the highlights of the evening was when Jim Doig the owner of J.Rowan Gallery downtown and his wife came by to my booth. He loved my paintings and wants me to exhibit in his gallery! I told him I would love to and that I would give him a call this week! I'm so excited! So if all goes well I will have paintings hung in his gallery for "first friday" this Friday! If you make it downtown, you will have to "ooh and awe" over them and talk loudly over how much you like them. haha.
So at the end of the show I had gained some exposure, possibly gotten into another gallery, talked with artists and locals, sold a photograph (Saint Chappelle Cathedral) several prints and cards and just had a wonderful night. It definitely blew away my expectations and I'm so excited to start showing more and more.

Here are my (somewhat cheesy but truthful) thank yous:Jason Weiland. My manager. =) I literally could not have done what I did without you. The Fam! I think everyone related to me within a 75 mile radius came to the show. You rock! Cari Bradley (my art buddy and printer!)Alan Reynolds. My display kicked butt. Tiffany (you give me confidence!) The O'Briens (so much encouragement!) Kristi of Mama Bleus - (you believe in me and sell my art!) The Hannahs, Jean, Lis Burns, Mary Galletta, Tia & Kristen, Lori Wolf, the Koehlers, the Kings, the Gallants, the Karsts & Wengerds and others that came out and have encouraged me through this process. I love you.

No comments: