Friday, September 25, 2009

An Unlikely Solution

So I'm posting some more about my latest art project that I worked tirelessly on for the past few weeks. I wanted to take pictures through the progression...

The idea was to illustrate the number of homeless in Lakeland to the number of vacant residential properties. I started by doing some research. In Lakeland, FL there are 768 vacant residential properties listed, numerous retail and office buildings and over two million (yes, I said million) square feet in industrial space. There are currently 675 people living homeless in Lakeland. I decided to focus primarily on the residential properties and was trying to think of a way to illustrate this basic need with this basic solution. So... I came up with a basic answer. Pegs and Holes.

Step 1.
Buy wood and supplies.


Step 2.
Measure and make chalk lines for the holes to be drilled.


Step 3.
Drill 1443 holes. Wonder why you got yourself into this project on hole 53.


Step 4.
Sand and stain the wood.


Step 5.
Stain the pegs.


Step 6.
Add the frame work around the sides and hammer in the pegs.


Step 7.
Polyurethane the wood and add the "finishing touch".

I'm not posting a picture of this yet because I want it to make it's "debut" at the Platform Art Party tomorrow. But I'm VERY excited about it! I really hope that it inspires thought. I am also entering it into the Lakeland themed Arts on the Park show, so hopefully it will be seen there next Friday night as well. Here is my artist statement that I am posting with it:


Ever wondered how many homes sit empty in the city of Lakeland? As of now, there are 768 registered vacant residential homes. That is 93 more than the number of homeless that have been counted within our city. 


Each peg represents one of those homeless individuals. 


Each hole represents one of the homes that sits vacant. 


I’m not suggesting that the solution is to give every homeless person a free house... I’m just seeing a basic need and a basic solution. A need for shelter, and an empty roof. Beyond residential there are vacant retail and office properties and over two million square feet of vacant industrial space, all the while builders are still building and individuals walk the streets and sleep on benches, store fronts and concrete rain or shine. A need and a solution so close but separated by countless rules and regulations.

1 comment:

lea marshall said...

malcolm gladwells new book of essays discusses this problem and its strange (but politically incorrect) solution to homelessness. it actually involved giving the majority of the homeless population (not the chronic offenders which is only like 2%) their own home/apartment and then they actually get jobs and work and become productive members of society. in several areas where they have done this it has WORKED. i am oversimplifying it a bit, but you should check out the essay.

oh, here it is... http://www.gladwell.com/2006/2006_02_13_a_murray.html

p.s. i love seeing all your photography! give jason my love and tell my chairs "hi".